I am driving down the road the other day, praying, and thinking. Since I was alone in the car, this was possible. I realized that I have been suffering from the “I used to” syndrome. I have been feeling very guilty about the “I used to” syndrome and now I feel like I have been set free from this thorn in my side. 🙂
Why is it as a mom, all great revelations either come when I am enjoying peace and quiet in the bathroom or while I am driving???
So what is the IUT syndrome?
Let me give you some insight
- I used to always have the cookie jar filled with homemade cookies……….NOW we eat Oreos
- I used to plan creative meals with a large variety of family favorites……….NOW it’s the crock-pot, or the grill
- I used to be a women’s ministry speaker and I really felt God using me at the many events I spoke at……….NOW I don’t even have time to attend these events.
- I used to teach a variety of classes for women at my church…………..NOW I just see the classes listed in the church bulletin.
- I used to read and study my bible more……………NOW my devotions are quite sporadic
- I used to have a special snack waiting for the kids when they got home from school………..NOW they eat nothing, or have junk food!
- I used to match socks in a timely manner………..NOW I just buy more socks
- I used to scrub my kitchen floor on my hands and knees…….NOW, I used the Swifter, and hope my cleaning lady is coming soon!
I have been feeling so guilty about all my “use to” things, that I had totally lost sight of the present. I was not allowing God to use me NOW. I kept comparing myself to all the things I had done in the past and felt so guilty that I didn’t do those things anymore. So if you are constantly surrounding yourself with guilt, you leave very little opportunity to be used NOW. Well, during the drive to the grocery store, while feeling tired and weary after my first week of school……God spoke to my heart! Got to love His timing. Anyway, I have totally changed my attitude, and am looking for small and even big opportunities for God to use me in my current crazy, busy, working full-time life. 🙂 I am no longer going to be ruled by the IUT syndrome.
Here I am Lord, use me NOW! I think I will go enjoy an Oreo and get the crock-pot ready for dinner tomorrow. 🙂